The Quadriga on the Brandenburg Gate
The Brandenburg Gate was built 1789-91. It is the only remaining gate of the historic 18th century Berlin city wall. The gate is decorated by the "Quadriga" - a sculpture of a victory godess with a four-horsed chariot. The Brandenburg Gate is located at the western end of the Pariser Platz and the adjoining boulevard "Unter den Linden". Between 1961 and 1989 the gate stood on the inaccessible border strip that separated East from West Berlin. A walk through the Brandenburg Gate is regularly a part of state visits to the German capital.